This document describes the acceptance criteria / process we use when doing a vcpkg-tool update, such as https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/pull/23757
- Verify that all tests etc. are passing in the vcpkg-tool repo's
mainbranch, and that the contents therein are acceptable for release. (Steps after this will sign code there, so this review is responsible gating what has access to code signing.)
- Check that the changes there are in fact the changes that we want in that release. (Be aware, you are responsible for what is about to be signed with a Microsoft code signing certificate by proceeding)
- Submit a new full tree rebuild by microsoft.vcpkg.ci ( https://dev.azure.com/vcpkg/public/_build?definitionId=29 as of this writing) and queue a new build with the vcpkg-tool SHA overridden to the one you wish to use. Example: https://dev.azure.com/vcpkg/public/_build/results?buildId=73664&view=results
- (Probably the next day) Check over the failures and ensure any differences with the most recent full rebuild using the previous tool version are understood.
- Submit a signed build from "vcpkg Signed Binaries (from GitHub)" ( https://devdiv.visualstudio.com/DevDiv/_build?definitionId=17772&_a=summary as of this writing)
- The signed build will automatically create a draft GitHub release at
https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg-tool/releases . Erase the contents filled in there and press
the "auto generate release notes" button. Manually remove any entries created by the automated
localization tools which will start with
* LEGO: Pull request from juno/.
- Publish that draft release as "pre-release".
- Clean up a machine for the following tests:
VCPKG_DOWNLOADS/artifacts(which forces artifacts to be reacquired)
LOCALAPPDATA/vcpkg(which forces registries to be reacquired)
- Smoke test the 'one liner' installer: (Where 2022-06-15 is replaced with the right release name)
iex (iwr https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg-tool/releases/download/2022-06-15/vcpkg-init.ps1)
curl -L -o vcpkg-init.cmd https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg-tool/releases/download/2022-06-15/vcpkg-init.ps1 && .\vcpkg-init.cmd
. <(curl https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg-tool/releases/download/2022-06-15/vcpkg-init -L)
- Test that embedded scenarios work for vcpkg-artifacts:
Ensure that none of the following report errors:
- git clone https://github.com/some-example/blink/
- cd blink
- vcpkg activate
- idf.py set-target ESP32
- cd build
- In the vcpkg repo, draft a PR which updates
boostrap-vcpkg.ps1with the new release date, and update SHAs as appropriate in the .sh script. (For example, see https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/pull/23757)
- Merge the tool update PR.
- Change the github release in vcpkg-tool from "prerelease" to "release". (This automatically updates the aka.ms links)